Flying in a plane is like this photo in that you are not on the ground. Flying in a plane is not like this photo in that you are off the ground for a long time and everything looks like a model railroad display from your window. On my way to London, thousands of feet above the ground, I ate a shrimp appetizer off of a china plate, linen napkin on my lap, glass of wine on my fold-out table. It felt strange to be so civilized while hurtling through the air encased in a metal shell. Outside my window it was night but I could see the lights of cities like the flames of thousands of bonfires far below me. I thought about the light places and the darkness between them. Some time in the past the light places were safe havens from the wilderness. Today I wonder if the dark places are actually more humane and sustainable than the cities and their twinkling lights.
As promised, I finished my London scavenger hunt. I’d give myself a B- in terms of success, but I certainly made an effort. I couldn’t for the life of me find a dog on a bridge or someone in a powdered wig, but I give myself bonus points for showing up at Parliament on Fat Tuesday to watch members of the House of Lords and House of Commons run a relay race that involved running with a pancake-filled griddle pan.
Here’s the scavenger hunt list with links to photos. Enjoy.
Out and About
- a boat in use
- train tracks
- a scrap of paper found on the ground with something hand-written on it
- someone in a large hat
- a dog on a bridge
- an unhealthy children’s snack
- a street sign that you don’t understand the meaning of
- someone exercising
- something you would buy if you had the money
- something you wouldn’t buy even if someone paid you the price of the item
- a street performer
- a three-tined fork
- an ear of someone you have never met
- a stuffed mammal
- a photo taken from a rooftop (you must be on the roof and it cannot be a roof for which you need buy a ticket to go on)
- an autograph (from anyone you meet while in england. preferably not anyone famous)
- a photo of your feet in the ugliest shoes you can find